What Doc M sales tips would plumbing supply professionals give to others in their sector? What support would they say is essential for anyone working in the trade? What misconceptions do they find people have about DOC M…and how do they address this?
We asked an Estimating Manager and a Branch Manager, both working for major plumbing merchant businesses, to reveal some practical insights.
They told us…
• 1, Demystify specifications: Phil Rutter, Estimating Manager at UK-wide independent merchant CuPlas, explained that some customers “tend not to understand the importance of specifications involved in Doc M regulations”.
This means having sound technical knowledge in your team – or access to expert know-how when it is needed – can help and support customers with the right specifications to ensure Doc M compliance.
• 2, Use online resources: Phil added that online materials can support staff and, in particular, praised the “excellent online documentation” available from NYMAS.
Phil also pointed out that a package of competitive pricing, rapid availability, colleague knowledge and supplier support all combine to help to deliver the service his customers need.
• 3, Reassure customers: Jamie, Branch Manager at Graham Plumbers’ Merchant, advised that others in a similar role use their expertise to “give customers that confidence that what they need is not an issue”.
He added that because some customers believe Doc M “is quite complicated” he aims to help them to see they’ve found the products, help and support they need for compliance.
• 4, Just ask: Jamie emphasised that, in his business, finding the answers to Doc M washroom questions quickly and easily is a huge benefit.
The Barnsley-based Branch Manager pointed out that his relationship with NYMAS is a perfect illustration: “Abby from NYMAS has been great, when I need a technical question answered or a price sorting she’s on it”.
• 5, Accessibility matters: Jamie used the example of a customer working on a house adaption for a young girl living with brain damage as an example of how his role and partnership with NYMAS can make a real difference to end users.
He explained that, having supplied a NYMAS Doc M pack and rails for the project, “knowing a product we have provided is helping someone get through their day” is one of the things he takes enjoys as a Branch Manager.
Our thanks to Phil and Jamie for their insights and for their work.
If you aren’t leveraging all the support mentioned here to make Doc M work hard for your business, simply ask NYMAS how we can help.
Speak to a NYMAS specialist today by calling +44 (0) 1642 710 719 or email email@example.com.